Participated in a student reading today at the Whidbey Workshop, always a nerve-wracking experience because of the mother-love one comes to have for their own writing; though my essay may very well be a butt ugly baby, I want the audience to smile and coo at it all the same. I had just such an audience today: my MFA cohort, a whole room full of insecure mothers. Tomorrow, and with revision, the world.
Adapted from Baking Illustrated
INGREDIENTS for the Basic Pizza Dough
1/2 cup warm water (about 110°)
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp.) instant yeast
1 1/4 cups water, at room temperature
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups (22 oz.) bread flour, plus more for dusting (used all-purpose)
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
olive oil or non-stick cooking spray for greasing the bowl
For the Extras
4 cloves worth minced garlic
4 ounces mozzarella, shredded
8 ounces Gorgonzola, crumbled
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Measure the warm water into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in the yeast and let stand until the yeast dissolves and swells, about 5 minutes. Add the room temperature water and stir to combine.
- Add flour and salt to the liquid ingredients. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Form the dough into a ball, put it in a deep oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Press the dough to deflate it.
- Shape into smooth round ball and cover with a damp cloth. Let dough relax for at least 10 minutes (no more than 30 minutes)
- Brush rolled out dough round with oil. Sprinkle evenly with 1/3 cup mozzarella, leaving a ½ inch border. Dot with 2/3 cup Gorgonzola and sprinkle with a third of your minced garlic.
- Slide on peel (covered with corn meal) onto pizza stone (which should have been heated for at least 30 minutes at 500 degrees) and bake for 8 to 12 minutes. Remove pizza from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Repeat with the two other rounds.
The combo of cheeses on this pizza was snazzy. It would not pass the Lindsey Willis “Are all the colors of the rainbow present?” health assessment, but its orange, yellow, and brownness should not be held against it. 4 stars.