Discovered the Bluffs at Ebey’s Landing this afternoon on a jog that turned into a four-hour wandering on Whidbey Island. The highlight was divining a trail through the half-plowed fields of a farm, cutting my way through bracken and clover to the sea, along the damp rocks of which I found my way home.
Fresh Tomato Pizza with Arugula and Prosciutto
adapted from Baking Illustrated
INGREDIENTS for the Basic Pizza Dough
1/2 cup warm water (about 110°)
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp.) instant yeast
1 1/4 cups water, at room temperature
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups (22 oz.) bread flour, plus more for dusting (used all-purpose)
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
olive oil or non-stick cooking spray for greasing the bowl
For the Extras
3 medium ripe tomatoes, or lots of halved cherry tomatoes
6 ounces mozzarella, shredded
4 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto
3 cups stemmed arugula leaves, washed and dried
- Measure the warm water into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in the yeast and let stand until the yeast dissolves and swells, about 5 minutes. Add the room temperature water and stir to combine.
- Add flour and salt to the liquid ingredients. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Form the dough into a ball, put it in a deep oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Press the dough to deflate it.
- Shape into smooth round ball and cover with a damp cloth. Let dough relax for at least 10 minutes (no more than 30 minutes)
- Brush rolled out dough round with oil. Arrange a third of the tomato slices in concentric circles over the dough, leaving a ½ inch border.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 tsp oil.
- Slide on peel (covered with corn meal) onto pizza stone (which should have been heated for at least 30 minutes at 500 degrees) and bake for 6 to 10 minutes. Lay a third of the prosciutto slices over the tomatoes and sprinkle with ½ cup mozzarella. Continue baking until the cheese melts. Toss 1 cup arugula with teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Remove pizza from oven and top with arugula.
- Repeat with the two other rounds.